Monday, August 4, 2008

I Like Ike


When I was born, Dwight Eisenhower was president of the United States.  

Born in 1890, he was the first president who could claim Texas as his birthplace.  Last Saturday night, 118 years later, a similarly auspicious event occured in Texas...I went on yet another first date.

I knew she was younger than I, but wasn't sure how much younger, until the following exchange took place:
She:  How old are you anyway?
Me:  I'm in my 40's
She:  Well I'm 32...that's only 8 years away from 40.
Me:  Great!  I'm only 9 years away from 40!
She:  What year did you graduate from high school?
Me:  1977
She:  I was 2

Incidentally,  she'd never heard of James Taylor or Earth, Wind and Fire.  And she kept talking about "the inner net".  Until now, I never really thought the lining of your bathing suit was much of a topic for conversation.  I wonder what Ike would say.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it is.

    And like Homer's childhood pal discovered in that classic episode, it is very embarrassing to become so frightened that you "log on" to your inner net.

    ReplyDelete