Monday, February 21, 2011

Six Month Milestone


I've been traveling full time for six months now. Here are a few of my thoughts so far:

• I believe that happy “accidents” occur by putting yourself out there, by taking risks, by not having expectations about how things will turn out. I've experienced this principle way too many times to think of these incidents as accidents. I expect them.

There are few things as delicious as a good cup of coffee. Or worse than a bad a cup of coffee.

• I don't need much to get by. All of my earthly possessions fit into two bags. And I'm still getting rid of stuff.

• It's fun to wake up not knowing what city I’ll be in that night.

• The public restrooms in New Zealand are clean. I mean clean enough to invite someone over for dinner.

• Cold drinks are over-rated. Except when it comes to beer.

• I have a new appreciation for good water pressure.

• It actually is a small world after all...I met a guy on a remote island in Fiji and subsequently bumped into him more than 100o miles away at a museum in Wellington, New Zealand.

• I can't believe I've driven 10,000 miles on the other side of the road without being involved in an accident or getting a speeding ticket.

• I can eat just about anything. And enjoy it. Except beets. But I already knew that.

• I have a REALLY bad sense of direction. But I've had lots of unexpected adventures by getting lost.

• Humor transcends all barriers of language, culture or ideology.

• Not everyone is a fan of The United States of America. In fact, a lot of people aren’t.

• It is truly humbling and sometimes downright embarrassing to witness my fellow travelers' proficiency in multiple languages.

• I thoroughly enjoy having my ideas and beliefs expanded by someone who holds a different point of view.

• A bunch of expensive, heavy camera gear doesn't make me a better photographer. I've gotten rid of all the equipment I brought with me and I'm using only a pocket-sized point-and-shoot.

• I'm surprised and inspired by how concerned many of my fellow travelers are about the environment and conserving resources. There’s an entire section of the Lonely Planet Guide devoted to “green” travel.

• I want to maintain a child’s eye view. Playful, inventive, creative, open to all possibilities. In the past 6 months I’ve seen more physical beauty than one person can absorb in a lifetime. But I hope I’ll always be awestruck by a spectacular sunset, a thundering waterfall, or a night sky in the middle of nowhere filled with constellations I’ll never be able to identify.

• I've met very few people my age who are insane enough to sell everything they own and travel the world and who have no Plan B. Or Plan A.

• With all due respect to my travel companions and room-mates along the way, I REALLY like having my own room. Paying more per night beats the hell out of participating in a snore-fest/body odor buffet/sleep-deprivation experiment.

• My goal is to live in the moment, to suck the juice out of every experience, to live courageously and compassionately...and to embrace randomness and all its surprises.

• No matter how early you get up or how remote your destination, the Germans are already there.

• I’m not on a quest. I’m not trying to “find myself”...or "enlightenment". I’m not looking for anything. OK, maybe I’m looking for the perfect, pristine beach with turquoise water and a single, solitary hut with nothing else around except for another hut where delicious meals and cold beer are served. By an exotic woman wearing a sarong. Is that too much to ask?

9 comments:

  1. I love what you're doing, John. I think it's a brilliant way to have adventures. I also think it's courageous to not have a Plan A or Plan B. And DAMN, it's so true about the Germans. Those folks really get around! Have a great day! - Sheila Dudley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff John… thanks for sharing…

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Embrace randomness"...great words. Adventure, then, is everywhere we are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep on keepin on, my man. Following your travels with interest back here in Austin.

    - Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, my friend. I beat myself up that I didn't see you before you left Texas. I am loving every word of this post....especially the last bullet-point. Safe travels!!!
    ~Sloan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John. I'm not sure if you remember me, but we crossed paths (and I served you French toast) at the Duvauchelle Store & Cafe in Duvauchelle (Akaroa), NZ. It sounds like you are doing well! I'd love to keep in touch! FYI: to this very day I still remember what you said: "no matter what happens, things will always turn out ok - they have to". Thanks for that.

    -Monika
    (mareitmeyer@gmail)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey John, you certainly have taken an interesting direction since I left Austin & the camera biz. I am most impressed, but not in the least surprised, that you've chosen to make your entire being-ness an adventure. Best wishes, my friend. I'll be checking in now & then...

    --Mark Peasley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, John. What a wonderful, inspiring and instructive post!

    ReplyDelete