Monday, October 10, 2011

Nothing To Write Home About



We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit. :: Aristotle

I want it to be funny.

And soulful. With just the right amount of insight and poignancy without being sappy or tying everything up in a neat little bow. I want it to be honest and provocative and to raise questions. And I want to retain a vulnerability and a child-like curiosity about the cosmos.

In other words, I want my writing to be a blockbuster, laugh 'til you cry, lump-in-your-throat, chart-topping, best-selling epiphany every single time.

I suffer from the delusion that if I just chisel it, whittle it and sandpaper it long enough…that if I rearrange the words and sentences and paragraphs in every possible permutation, I’ll get it right. And that is the death of creativity.

That approach will whip the very life out of any artistic pursuit, and turn it into a scientific endeavor. Instead of dancing like nobody’s watching, I often feel paralyzed by the criticism of the imaginary reader in my head who’s thinking “This is crap!That voice, of course, is mine. Someone once told me "Fill the balcony in your mind with a standing-room-only crowd of your biggest fans." Why is it that I listen to the handful of jeering hecklers in the cheap seats?

It’s not like I have any shortage of material. Even when I’m not traveling to exotic destinations, I have something to write about every single day. I live in a world that is filled with humor and poignant, mystical moments and lots of joy and plenty of sadness. I am perennially curious, and frequently filled with wonder by things I can’t explain, and skeptical of those who think they can.

When I have an experience I want to recount, a story I want to tell, a feeling I want to convey, I often think in grandiose cinematic terms: a screenplay, complete with storyboard illustrations, lighting diagrams, camera angles and an orchestral soundtrack.

And so I begin to write. Except that I’m not tapping on my computer keys, or putting pen to paper. It’s in my head. And that kind of writing goes nowhere. It's too much trouble for me to actually do it. Or I'm too tired. Or there's not enough time. What!? I've got nothing if not TONS of time right now.

But I want it to be polished…primo…perfect. With just the right amount of alliteration. I’m not talking about grammar or run-on sentences or dangling participles. I want it DO something to the person reading it…whether it’s a eliciting a chuckle, or a sigh, or a memory, or sharing my skewed perspective on things.

And so what it comes down to is what I know already. It’s the dilemma of every artist. If I sit and wait for the muse to grace me with her presence, I might miss dinner. It’s not like Mozart banged out a greatest hit every time he sat down at the piano. And I feel certain that Mr. Van Gogh used up a lot of yellow paint before he before he got those sunflowers just right. In fact, he didn’t sell a single painting while he was alive.


And yet I let my fear of putting anything mundane out there keep me from writing. And perfection can stand in the way of a lot of great art. Someone once said "Art is never completed, just abandoned."

I feel certain that Sir Isaac Newton, the inventor of gravity, would tell you that it’s not every day an apple falls on your head. There’s a lot of hard work and tree shaking and days with no apples.


So even when there’s no tangible payoff, any kind of artistic pursuit has to be a regular discipline. Sitting down at the keyboard...whether it's a computer or a piano, picking up the brush or the camera or the pen. Stepping out on the tight rope and realizing that falling or failing aren't even remote possibilities. I mean...how bad can it really be? If anything, it’s one more lesson in how NOT to do it next time.

And by the way, I've been working on this for about 6 hours and I’m still not happy with it. But I'm gonna walk away. And come back and fiddle with it some more later.

Even when I do not feel like work, I sit down to it just the same. I cannot wait for inspiration, and inspiration at best is a force brought into action by effort.

Igor Stravinsky

9 comments:

  1. I totally get this post. I have this very same problem as a creative and as a writer. The truth is, writing is hard. Especially hard if it is something you are fairly new to(at least, I am fairly new to it).

    The beauty of blogging is that it is supposed to be more informal. More immediate. And it is more forgiving of imperfections. Write away my friend. You don't have to hit a home run every time. Just make sure it's at least a single.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From a wannbe writer and big fan of yours in the balcony: Fabulous piece! Wonderfully written! Bravo! Every word strikes me right at my core. I feel your struggle because every day I sit down to write and 90% of the time all I can find to write about is writing. Your work is an inspiration to me. Thank you and carry on!
    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to human race John! You and I might be twin brothers from different mothers. I battle with that same internal voice and hide behind "it's not ready" or "it's not good enough yet".

    We should all heed Master Yoda's famous words, "Do or do not, there is no try".

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, so true. We just have to show up at the page fearlessly. Uh-huh. With courage and a sense of humor, because sometimes we will just draw a blank. But it's better than drawing nothing at all. Keep at it. What you are doing is the best, fantastic, and I look forward to every notice that you DO have something to write home about. I love you! Love, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  5. consider me one of the standing on the balcony, standing room only....my belief in you is not dependent on whether the current writings, photos, observations, beliefs are as life changing, revealing, mind altering or...are up to the caliber of the last...suffice it to say ...you had me at "Rompin...Stompin...Circus of Love world tour...! Im listening! Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing when this happens. You wrote about the exact topic Matthew & I spoke of last night. Or more correctly, I listened to as he talked of the voice in his head that drives him crazy, which is of course his own.
    This is a post my son will read. I'm going to make sure of it. We all need reminding that even the greatest of the great have that same, miserable, OCD voice in their head. That voice that will squash the gift if we let it.
    You do what you do so well John:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. John, brilliant as always. You touch beautifully on one of the biggest principles of success......consistent and persistency. Also something Richard Branson once said and stands by in his life "screw it, just do it!". I hope a lot of people get something out of this post. It is particularly relevant in a week that saw Steve Jobs life end very early. His life demonstrated that money cannot save you, no matter what you have when your time is up, it's up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. John, you inspire me. Your long-lost cousin. I look at you, living your art and sharing your words and I am in awe of it all.

    I am cheering loudest on your balcony

    xo,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. John,
    I'm going to fire up my laptop this afternoon while my students & I are on a field trip and read them this piece.
    Amen!

    ReplyDelete