Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Lucky

When I arrived here in Siem Reap, Cambodia a couple of weeks ago, I was feeling a little sorry for myself. After ten months of non-stop travel, I felt road-weary and lonesome as hell.
And then I met a guy named Lucky.

He sits on the curb in front of the ice cream shop where I stop each evening, selling books to passersby. Lucky was born with no arms and no legs. He’s a torso with a head. About as minimalist as a human being can be. And one of the most cheerful, upbeat people I’ve ever met.

"What did you say your name was again? Lucky?"

Seriously?

The other night after he finished work, Lucky and I went down the street to have a frosty adult beverage. He didn’t want to sit in his wheelchair, so I lifted him like a 50 lb. sack of cement and placed him on the lawn chair next to me, holding my breath that it wouldn't fold up and swallow him.
He ordered a beer and some food and when the waitress returned she opened a pack of cigarettes, put one in his mouth and lit it. “This should be interesting” I thought. He smoked by taking a puff and then balancing the cigarette on his shoulder. I’m a die-hard non-smoker, but I’ll light cigarettes all night long for a guy like Lucky.

When the food arrived, he asked me to hand him a pair of chopsticks. I thought he was pulling my leg. He gripped them between his chin and shoulder, gestured for me to hand him the plate, then scooped up a big bunch of noodles and offered it to me. My jaw dropped. This guy can’t feed himself and here he is offering me the first bite. I leaned over, nose-to-nose with my new friend, and gobbled up the heaping helping. Then I took the chopsticks and fed him in between cigarettes.

A couple of pitchers of Angkor beer later, we decided to call it a night. Lucky didn’t even pretend to reach for his wallet, so I ended up getting stuck with the tab. As I wheeled him down the bumpy dirt road to the spot outside the now abandoned night market where his brother was going to pick him up, I asked him if he wanted me to wait with him. It was 1 a.m. He insisted he’d be fine, and as I turned to walk away it was all I could do not to take him back to my guest house and get him a room. When I saw him the next day, he was as cheerful and chipper as ever, and even used the pointed nub where his left arm should be to give me an impromptu back massage.

A few days later, I stopped by the ice cream place to get a couple of scoops of rum raisin, and the woman behind the counter asked me how long I was planning to stay. When I told her I’m volunteering at a school for at-risk kids for the next couple of weeks, she got all teary-eyed and said “Thank you for your helping.”

I felt like I had a golf ball stuck in my throat, but I managed to say “You’re welcome” before I turned to ride the bike that’s provided for free by the guest house where I’m staying in air-conditioned comfort in a private room with hot water, a flush toilet, free internet, cable T.V, a double bed with clean sheets every day...and breakfast is included. $15.00 a night, which is more than a guy who sells paperbacks on the sidewalk makes in a week.

I feel pretty lucky.

12 comments:

  1. Love the label "Life 101"...! You, my friend, are an excellent student and teacher. Thanks for taking us all to school. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice story John

    melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What an inspirational story! Thank you. And I thank Lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a good man, John. You are learning so much more about life...something all of us could use. Keep the lessons coming!!!
    Witcher

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story! I have been following your posts for a while (Kim Whatley shared your blog with me.)and I really enjoy your point of view and your photos are gorgeous. Thanks for being a wonderful human being and for sharing that with the world.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your cosmic journey. I look forward to your posts. It is a breath of life...simple, sweet and deeply profound! Travel on and report back often....pease!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeeze, John. Big stuff!!! sniff, sniff. Keep us enlighten and posted.
    Love, erica

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lucky John. Love this. Thanks for sharing.

    xoxo,

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first time reading your blog, John, and it touched my heart. Your writing paints a picture as real as your photography does. God bless and keep you safe and well in your travels. Mary Anne Womack

    ReplyDelete