Friday, June 3, 2011

M.C. Escher Would Be Proud

I'm a huge fan of M.C. Escher, the Dutch artist whose mind-bending illustrations twist your imagination and turn your perceptions of reality inside out.


I've just arrived in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and checked into my hotel room on the 4th floor. Climbing 84 stairs is a great cardio workout, and it's the only option, since there's no elevator.

And looking down the narrow stairwell is a vertigo-inducing experience, especially when the bag containing all my earthly possessions is spinning on the end of a cable.


Footnote: This is without a doubt the noisiest place I've stayed in the last 10 months, including Fiji where there was always a rooster and a dog and a crying baby. I didn't get a wink of sleep last night because of the blaring music and traffic noise so I asked to be moved to the back of the hotel away from the street. My punishment...I'm now on the 6th floor. By the time I leave here I'll be ready to summit Mt. Everest.

No comments:

Post a Comment