Thursday, July 14, 2011

Blown Away


I just renewed my visa to stay in Cambodia for another month.

Why? Because I've just been given the most amazing opportunity. After volunteering for a couple of weeks at Anjali House, an organization that works with street kids, I've been asked to mentor two up-and-coming photographers who are part of their young adult program.

Why me? I keep asking myself the same question.

Here's the story: These two talented photographers have been invited to photo-document the work being done by Halo Trust, an organization which has been removing land mines and unexploded bombs here in Cambodia for 20 years. Specifically, they've been asked to capture images of life in the villages where land mines have been cleared.

I keep pinching myself to make sure I'm awake, because the gig is perfect on so many levels:

1. It supports at least three causes I'm passionate about: photography, education and clearing land mines. I can't imagine what a relief it must be for folks who have lived in daily terror for years to feel safe for the first time about cultivating their land and letting their kids go outside to play without having to worry about whether they'll come home in pieces.

2. I'll get to share some of my experience with other photographers who are eager and enthusiastic. And I'll learn a lot more about the "real' Cambodia and hopefully enlarge my 8 word Khmer vocabulary.

3. I'll have the opportunity to see parts of the country I wouldn't get to to otherwise. We'll have several overnight stays, so I'll see life in villages that are unadulterated by tourism, taste local food that hasn't been "westernized", and immerse myself in truly authentic local culture.

The photos will be shown in a big exhibition which will take place in November, and will also hang on the walls in the offices of Halo Trust and be used in their development efforts.

Beyond my wildest dreams, the director of Anjali House has managed to procure to a couple of Macbook Pro laptop computers with Photoshop installed, as well as a couple of zoom lenses, so we ought to be pretty well-equipped for our expedition.

Oh...I forgot to mention...it's the rainy season.

6 comments:

  1. I think back to the line by Dennis Hopper in Apocolypse Now, there is mines over there and over there and watch out those dam monkies bite

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an exciting and cosmic and precious opportunity! BTW, my verification word is "vugged". See if this is the Khmer word for joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met you on a train in Nam. Someone just refreshed me as to what your blog was. Great blog.

    J.R.

    I will be back...

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of us that know you are not at all surprised you got this opportunity, your passion for photography, your genuine love (and respect) for the places and people you're visiting, and your generous nature are readily obvious. Plus, as Woody Allen said, "90% of success is showing up".

    ReplyDelete
  5. There you go again, John, paying it forward. Have a great time. I'd love to be there mentoring and learning with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John, I just viewed the photo slide show from your classes at Anjali House! They're great! You even made the newsletter. Thanks for sharing their information,I'm now a member!
    Barbara http://www.youtube.com/user/AnjaliHouse#p/a/u/2/qg8ySBkQuaY

    ReplyDelete