Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Acrophobia

I'm terrified of heights.  Always have been.  Maybe because of the time I fell out of tree when I was a kid and fractured my skull. Or a couple of years ago when I fell off a ladder while running a chain saw and landed on my head in my neighbor's driveway.  After the ambulance ride, 6 staples in my scalp, the hip X-ray, the CAT scan and having to hire professional tree trimmers to finish the job, I decided to leave that to the experts.

A week later I was talking to a friend of mine who had taken her husband into the emergency room because he had gotten a shard of metal in his eye.  He wasn't seriously injured, and the emergency room physician said "Consider yourself lucky....last weekend I treated this idiot who fell off a ladder with a running chain saw in his hand!"  Small world.

So when I saw this high dive, I knew I had to jump.  And to up the ante, I decided to do a flip.  Good thing nobody was watching....I felt like I was 6 years old.  It wasn't pretty.  So I did it 2 more times just to embrace my fear.

It's a good idea to do something scary as often as possible.  Who knows...maybe I'll sign up for dance lessons.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment