Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Mystic Moth (and Other Frequent Flyers)


One afternoon as I was eating lunch, a moth with very distinctive markings came and landed on my sandwich. He carefully inspected it with his proboscis, and hung out with me while I finished eating.

Several hours later, while I was waiting for the charcoal on the grill to heat up, the same moth came back and kept me company again.  Maybe it was the wine, but it felt like this moth and I were starting to be pals.

Shortly thereafter, I saw these birds performing their high wire act.  It reminded me of a documentary I saw recently called "Man on Wire" about a French guy who in 1974 managed to string up a tight rope between the Twin Towers in New York City at night without anybody knowing.  By sunrise, he was walking back and forth, 1000 feet above the ground, while the cops watched helplessly.  If you haven't seen it, you must!

No comments:

Post a Comment