Monday, March 2, 2009

After The Deluge


Last night we had a “gully washer”. Even Noah would have been looking for higher ground.

It started about 2 a.m. and continued throughout the night….an absolute torrential downpour that lasted about 5 hours. Because my room has only screens instead of windows, for most of the night the wind was howling through the cabin, the curtains were parallel with the floor, and the room was filled with a fine mist. And because the roof is made of corrugated tin, with all the falling branches and sticks and fruit and what-not, it was like trying to sleep in a firecracker factory with the sprinkler system on.

Today the rain has abated somewhat, but the temperature has dropped significantly, and I have no long pants or socks, having left them at the hotel I'll be returning to on my way back home. Thankfully I do have a fleece pullover and 2 (moist) blankets I can crawl under. The humidity is 150%, and the weather forecast calls for more of the same, so the chances of anything drying out anytime soon are slim to none. It’ll be interesting to see how long it takes the soaking wet t-shirt I hung out to dry yesterday afternoon to turn into a biology experiment.

1 comment:

  1. John. I'm proud of you. Keep up the good work for us old guys.

    ReplyDelete