Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Bruce Lee, Barbie's Birthday and My First Kiss


Today is Barbie's 50th birthday.

The doll created by Mattel in 1959 reached the half century mark this year. But the Barbie I'm talking about was the first girl I kissed.

I was 15 years old, and hadn't ever kissed anyone on the lips before, other than my great-aunt, and that was against my will. When Aunt Jewel puckered up, you had to just grit your teeth and take it like a tetanus shot. She had a wispy mustache, smelled like baby powder and wore bright red lipstick which leaked into the creases around her mouth...a memory which came flooding back to me the first time I saw a satellite photo of the Nile Delta.


But Barbie obviously had some experience in the smooching department. It lasted only a few seconds, but that first kiss rocked me back on my heels. The feeling was kinda like your first leap off the high dive...terrifying, unfamiliar and thrilling all at the same time. I wanted to try it again.

Walking home that night, feeling 10 feet tall and bullet-proof, I passed the home of Bruce Lee. Yes, that Bruce Lee. He lived in our neighborhood in Hong Kong, and I remember thinking "You may be the world's greatest martial artist, but right now, I'm pretty sure I could take you!"


Barbie and I have stayed in sporadic contact over the years. We both live in Texas, but we never see each other. We're friends on facebook and we e-mail each other once a year or so. I called her today and sang "Happy Birthday" to her voicemail.

She has the same birthday as my brother James, who died when he was 21 and I was 24. There aren't too many people in my life nowadays who knew James, but Barbie did. He would have been 47 today...but in my mind he'll always be that skinny 21 year old guy with a big grin and sad eyes.

And Barbie will always be that 15 year old girl who gave me my first kiss.

4 comments:

  1. Love this and Love You, Cuz....
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember James well. Think of him often.
    Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of James all the time.... weekly...really. His spirit is alive and well in Portland. I think about telling him things... music things...car things...art things.... things about my twin boys... technology things....things about my sister eileen...just everyday things. James made everyday things special... great blog John. Thanks.
    Elizabeth (Keenan) Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strange how James comes to mind from time to time. He and I were the same age and played together alot as kids.
    Don't know if you heard, but just recently someone bought back Bruce Lees house from whoever had been operating is as a "love motel", (pay by the hour), and are going to turn it into a memorial/museum tribute to Bruce. The Evangelical Free Church Seminar, just 6 or 7 doors down is pleased (to say the least!)

    Scott Anderson

    ReplyDelete